The Role of Humor in Leadership and Team Building
Humor has been related to a number of positive effects when used by leaders: improved morale among workers, enhanced group cohesiveness, and even a positive impact on larger organizational outcomes. This keynote addresses how humor can be used to enhance leadership effectiveness with an emphasis on improved communication and team building. Guidelines for use of humor will be discussed to ensure humor does not get out of hand at work emphasizing the important of appropriate humor and educating staff on the dangers of using inappropriate humor. Learning Objectives:
1. Identify ways humor can be used to improve communication
2. Describe and practice humor techniques for team building
3. Recognize and distinguish the differences between appropriate and inappropriate humor
Laughing to Ease the Pain
The Role of Therapeutic Humor in Coping with Illness
This keynote is full of entertaining stories that educate audiences on the role humor plays in healing and coping with health issues and everyday stress. It reveals humor strategies that anyone can use to improve their health. David is one less than 30 Certified Humor Professionals in the Country. A designation bestowed through the three year Graduate Humor Academy of the Association for Applied and Therapeutic Humor.
•Explain the physiological, psychological and social benefits of using therapeutic humor.
•Gain an understanding of the role therapeutic humor can play in coping with health issues ad everyday stress
•Define and Differentiate between appropriate, healthy humor and inappropriate, unhealthy humor.
•Discuss and apply humor strategies that can be utilized to enhance ones use of therapeutic humor.
Humor in Diversity
Using Humor to Enhance Diversity Acceptance
Humor is a universal human trait that crosses all cultures and societies. This presentation addresses how humor can be used to decrease prejudice and improve relationships of people from vastly different backgrounds. This presentation will discuss the role that baggage, projections, judgments and perceptions play in impeding our ability to appreciate cultural differences other communication styles and how humor can be used to overcome these obstacles.
1. Recognize ways that humor can be used to decrease prejudices
2. Demonstrate how humor can be used to knock down barriers the impede communication
3. Give examples of ways to respond to the use of inappropriate humor and how to educate those that use it.
The Role of Therapeutic Humor in Mental Health
Using humor to improve mental health
Research over the past 30 years has shown that a sense of humor has come to be viewed as an important factor of mental health. Humor can transform the negative into the positive. When people can laugh and play they tend to feel happier, more energetic, less depressed, less anxious and less irritable and tense.
1. Gain an understanding of the role therapeutic humor can play in mental health with a specific focus on the post trauma milieu.
2. Explain the physiological, psychological and social benefits of using therapeutic humor.
3. Define and distinguish the different between appropriate, healthy humor versus inappropriate, unhealthy humor.
4. Discuss and practice humor strategies that can be utilized to enhance ones use of therapeutic humor.